One week without Facebook

One week without Facebook!

One week ago precisely, Facebook suspended a number of Catholic pages and their admins for no reason.

Hamza Butt, FlickrCC BY 2.0

Two pages of mine were among those suspended, Catholic Healing and Loving Jesus Divine Mercy – together with my profile. Soon after Facebook reinstated the pages, but I had problems receiving the Security code sms sent by Facebook. My smartphone’s provider was Go mobile, which wasn’t able to receive it. After a few days of various attempts (including Go not solving my problem receiving the code), I decided to switch to Vodafone Malta. This turned out to be the right choice.

I received the code, tried it, and was told I had entered the code “too many times”. So I decided to wait another 2 days, and then I would try again.

Today, exactly one week since the original suspension, I decided to try to receive the security code sms once more. It worked, I received the code and entered it successfully. Facebook “thanked” me “for helping them” and I had my account back.

A Facebook spokesman has given Facebook’s first official explanation to ACI Prensa(translated from Spanish): “The pages were restored. The incident was accidentally caused by a spam detection mechanism on the platform. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.